Friday, February 09, 2007

 

Treatment Update

I had an unexpected turn of events the last 2 days. I had been having trouble earlier in the week getting an appointment scheduled at Fox Chase that wasn’t 3 or 4 weeks away. I got a call Wednesday afternoon asking if I could make an appointment Thursday morning at Fox Chase. I was able to get a friend from work drive me down to Philly early Thursday morning and make the appointment. I was very happy to be able to get to see the doctor this week and get things rolling.

To my surprise, Dr Von Mehren told me about 2 clinical trials that Fox Chase was running for which I would qualify. Both are Phase I trials and neither one is specifically designed for sarcoma patients but for advanced cancer patients in general. The first trial involves a drug called patupilone, which is a drug being developed to treat advanced solid tumors developed by Novartis. The second trial involves a drug called SN2310, which belongs in class of cancer drugs called camptothecins and has been developed by Sonus Pharmaceuticals. Both drugs are very new and, as a result, there is little data about how effective either one would be with nerve sheath tumors (or sarcoma in general for that matter). Phase 1 trials are essentially safety trials developed to determine tolerable dosages of a new drug, and do not focus on the efficacy of the drug. This is the downside, really, but I am a good candidate for trials like these because I don’t really have any “proven” treatments to fall back on at this point.

I have decided to enroll in the SN2310 trial, mainly because there is a lot of promise in the camptothecin class of drugs. Camptothecin is a compound that comes from the bark of a tree native to China and has shown tremendous anti-cancer properties by disrupting DNA replication in cancer cells. So there are absolutely no guarantees that this drug will have any positive effect on my sarcoma, but I am happy to be involved with a new and promising drug. There are some typical side effects with the drug (immunosupression etc) but certainly no worse than the traditional drugs I have been involved with.

Over the next couple of weeks I’ll need to have some pre-trial tests conducted and then I should be able to get started. The drugs are administered every 3 weeks, but there are additional blood draw requirements (particularly in the first round) that will keep me busy.

That’s all for now -- thanks for your continued comments, emails, phone calls and prayers.

Seth

Comments:
Seth,
It is good to see updates on your blog and that there is a trial that you can participate in. I'm always impressed by the details of the drugs and how well you understand all of
it and relay it to us. I think you should aim for a second career in writing for the layperson!
Be well. Happy Valentine's Day to all of you.
Natalie
 
May the love, peace and compassion of our risen Lord and Savoir be with you Seth and all the Edmondson family.

Ellis and Stephanie Grossnickle
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?