Sunday, October 01, 2006

 

On the Mend

This is Seth writing again. Thanks to Jenny for filling in while I was down and out. I am continuing to progress and recover from my surgery. I am filling my days by walking, reading, sleeping and watching some football. The doctors are still waiting for my newly stretched stomach tube to settle down before I start to eat or drink anything. We’ll probably try tomorrow. The new path is a little more convoluted than the oringinal esophagus so my body will have to learn to use the new one slowly. I am getting fed via a “J-Tube” which goes right into the top of my intestines (the jejunum, in medical terms) from a tube in my abdomen wall. This will continue for some time until I can get my complete nutrition via mouth. The doctors are also waiting to make sure I can digest food via the J-Tube without complications before letting me go home. My best guess is that I’ll be able to head home by mid-week. I am still dealing with some pain in my abdomen from the surgery, but it is manageable. It keeps me from walking as much as I would like though. Jenny is still here everyday, staying at a nearby hospital apartment, and I’ve had a handful of visitors, all appreciated. I’ve received lots of cards and books, my thanks to everyone. The nursing staff here continues to impress me; they really go out of their way to make things comfortable and friendly. Also, a big thanks to Mark, Jaime, and Ann for watching the kids over the last 2 weeks, what a huge help.

Big picture, I’m hoping to return to State College this week and rest for 2-3 weeks before my next round of chemotherapy. Once I get some weight back on and am feeling stronger I’ll need to resume treatments to avoid losing the ground we’ve gained over the summer.

Jenny and I sincerely thank all of you for your support and prayers during this difficult time. Knowing that we are not in this alone makes a huge difference for us. We’ll update the blog with any significant developments and once we have an idea of when we’ll be returning back home.

Thanks again and take care,

Seth

Comments:
Seth,

Kathy and I are happy to hear that the surgery went well and that things seem to be improving. You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. Looking forward to the day when you and the family can travel back out west to visit. Otherwise we may just need to start planning a VQ-5 reunion out east. =) Tim Burns
 
Good to "hear" you again Seth. I had no doubt you'd pull through this most recent surgery. We're thinking about you all. Hope to talk soon.
Kurt
 
Seth, glad to hear you're on the mend.Lauren and I are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. You are an inspiration to me, and surely are to others. Get well. Love, Dave
 
Hi Seth,

Glad to hear you're getting better. I've only been hospitalized overnight once in my life, so I can't really identify with your long "tour" there, but can imagine how you can get antsy. Hope to see you active in our LMS lists again soon.

Dave Swanson
 
Hi Buddy,
Sorry I missed you this week at home. Your boys here at SRI are keeping me busy so its been hard to get out! (GRIN)
Looking forward to catching up with you. See you soon.

As Always,
Semper Fi!

Marc
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?