Saturday, October 14, 2006

 

A New Treatment Approach

After 3 nights in NYC I’ve made it back to State College courtesy of a ride from my Dad. He is spending the weekend here much to the delight of my kids. I had a good visit with the medical oncologist, Dr D’Adamo, and his staff about enrolling in the Sorafenib trial. I signed the paperwork and should be able to start in early November. I need to get C/T scans completed, and some other tests before officially starting the trial. The doctor was very positive about the drug and felt like it was a good move at this point. Some of his MPNST patients have had good luck with it, although not all. Unfortunately, with sarcoma there are no guarantees. The biggest side effect from this drug is blistering of the feet and hands. The severity varies quite a bit among patients, so I can only hope for minimal effects. Participation will require trips to NYC every 2 weeks for 12 weeks, then once a month.

While in NYC, Mom and I visited the Natural History Museum, which I had not visited since I was a small. We had a nice time and I enjoyed the diversion. We also were not far from the aircraft mishap, and it was a little scary to hear all the sirens etc.

Spencer turned 6 this week, and today we went to Fun Unleashed, a new “Chuck E Cheese-like” establishment in town and had a great time. I am still taking pain medication because my back and abdomen tend to ache when I’m active, but in general I’m feeling well. I am eating well but still not enough to justify stopping overnight tube feeding.

I’ve had some trouble posting photos on the blog lately, but finally found a fix. Here is a picture of my coworkers from SRI the day they worked on my landscaping (it still looks great), and an old family photo sent to me from a cousin in Georgia (Thanks, Rob) that I am fond of -- I’m the one on the right.

Enjoy your weekend and take care,
Seth






Comments:
Wow. What good looking parents we have! That's a great photo.
I heard you are driving again! That's awesome.
I'll call you soon and we can chat.
Love you.
Sarah
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?