Friday, May 19, 2006

 

TGIF



It’s been over a week since my last post, and I’m happy to report that Jenny and I are back home with the kids and things are a little bit more “normal”. It has been a tough couple of weeks, and we appreciate the multitude of support and sympathy expressed for the passing of Jenny’s mother last week. She was laid to rest on Monday, and was remembered by family and friends as a loving and generous wife, mother, grandmother and friend.

As for me, I am feeling better today than I have in about 2 weeks. After my initial bought of nausea, I was extremely fatigued and my esophagus started to act up again. This made eating difficult, which is very frustrating when you are trying to stay healthy. I had to make numerous visits to Fox Chase over the last 2 weeks to support data collection for the trial, but my last blood draw was yesterday. I’ll be returning for my next “round” the day after Memorial Day, which gives me a whole week and half to stay at home, enjoy life, and hopefully feel pretty good. These subsequent cycles of chemotherapy will not require the same level of support for the trial, so it should only take 2 or 3 days of travel, depending on how things go with side effects etc. My most recent C/T scans showed that the 6cm tumor in the pelvis was now 9cm (I expected this since it had been over 2 months since the last scan), a smaller adjacent tumor (1cm), and some bone lesions in the sacrum. The good news is that there were no mets in the lungs, which can create a whole separate host of problems. I will get rescaned after 3 cycles, which is where we will hope to see tumor shrinkage (or at a minimum, tumor stablity).

Chemotherapy drugs work by attacking fast growing cells during cell division. The drugs attack the genes in the nucleus during the division process (different drugs do this in different ways, but the fundamental concept is the same). Most of an adult body’s cells rarely divide, but your body has other frequently dividing cells like hair, skin, blood cells, and digestive tract linings -- these cells are also “attacked” during treatment, causing many of the common treatment side effects. Normal cells typically repair damage more quickly than cancer cells, which is why the overall treatment approach works. Monitoring blood cell counts is a big deal during treatment, including white blood cells (which fight off infection), red blood cells (which carry oxygen to your body’s tissue), and platelets (which are critical in blood clot formation). My white blood cell count was low this week, which forces you to go into “don’t touch me” mode to prevent picking up any stray germs which your body can’t fight off very well. Fortunately, I seem to have avoided getting sick, and my blood counts are back up to normal as of yesterday.

We did get some other very exciting news this week. As you may recall, we added a puppy to our family in January, a female Australian Shepherd named Zuzu. Since my sickness, the breeder, Kelly, has been graciously taking care of her. We are still not prepared to raise and train a puppy, but we have now arranged with Kelly to take ownership of a 4 year old male Aussie named Sorrell who is looking for a good home. Sorrell was trained in obedience and agility by a teenager who has now gone off to college. This might seem a little crazy right now, but we feel strongly about the positive effects of having a well-behaved, medium-sized adult dog around the house. I’ll post some pictures when he arrives this weekend.

Jenny and I will be around through Memorial Day, so feel free to call or arrange a visit (just don’t be offended if I don’t shake your hand!). Our continued thanks for all the support, prayers, cards, emails and phone calls, we appreciate it all.

Take care,
Seth

Comments:
Hi Seth and fam,
This is Liz, a childhood friend of your sister Sarah. She sent me a link to your blog and I've enjoyed reading your entries. It's great to see a current picture of your family! I know I've met you, Jenny and possibly your two oldest, but they've grown since then (obviously) and it's nice to see them as "young men."
I'm happy for you that you are getting an adult dog instead of a puppy- i hear they are as high maintenance as babies...I like the name too.
I hope you enjoy your week and will pray that you feel better- health is a gift I take for granted too often.
Congrats on the "Turn off the TV week" and thanks for your analysis of our gas prices- a great read. Maybe you could author a "For Dummies" book- I actually like the technical writing in your blog when usually I skip past all science stuff.

May God shine His face upon you and give you peace,
Liz Oxendale
 
Thanks for the photo. Great looking group. Glad to hear the chemo is "tolerable". Glad to hear a dog is coming back into the family. Stephanie, my wife, has fostered and found homes for over 100 dogs in the last 2 years through and organization and website www.furryfriends.org. Good luck with the new dog.
 
Seth -

Good to hear things are going well! That is such a great picture of the family, and I'm looking forward to pics of the new dog. I think that you're right that having a dog around will be good for everyone, a nice dog is a wonderful thing.

Keep it up,
Linden
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?