Monday, April 10, 2006

 

Radiation Treatment Complete

Well I'm happy to report that we successfully completed my IMRT radiation treatment today. Things went well and I am now in New Jersey at Tom & JoAnne's place. We left State College this morning around 7:30 and made it into NYC around noon. Jenny did a commendable job driving in Manhattan for this first time, and we managed to avoid rush hour on both the way in and way out.

The treatment itself took about almost 2 hours. We had a 3:30 appointment and we were called back around 4pm. In the afternoon, we coordinated with the pathology dept to have my slides and reports sent out for my appointment at Fox Chase. We had a small lunch and spent the afternoon reading before I was called back. The treatment itself was not painful except that you are immobilized on a hard platform for an extended period. My body got stiff and sore, but it was tolerable. It took about an hour to get my position "just right"; they would scan and then make small adjustments. The radiation then took another 30+ minutes. It was painless, but you could hear the loud whine of the x-ray transmitter. They did 18 doses, each about 45 seconds, from about eight different positions. The angles of the positions are determined via a sophisticated algorithm, and targeted the T4 and T5 vertebrae while avoid the spinal column and other vital organs. I am expecting some pain and discomfort to develop, but have not really felt any side effects yet.

Jenny and I were able to see Lara for a little while, who had just picked up her wedding dress. She is getting married in July, and Jenny and I are hoping to be able to make the trip to Las Vegas to attend. I don't know how I'll be feeling then, but we'll just wait and see. I already cancelled a trip to Las Vegas with my college friends at the end of April, but I have no doubt they'll have a blast without me :}

Jenny and I will be heading home tomorrow mid morning, and get back to our suburban recovery mode. We are still researching and communicating with other LMS patients about new drugs, treatments, and many other details.

Our continued thanks for all the prayers and support, we are very grateful. I'll keep everyone posted on how I'm feeling this week, and how things go at Fox Chase. I am feeling very relieved to have the radiation treatment behind me, and anxious to get to the next phase.

All the best to everyone,
Seth

Comments:
Seth,Thanks so much for keeping us informed as to your Tx & progress.I wish you the very best & a speedy recovery.God Bless You & your family.
Prakash & Nasreen.
 
Seth,

We hope you are having a speedy recovery from your treatment earlier this week. Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you. Love, The Tylers
 
Seth,

It's great to hear that you're doing well this far into the treatments. I have no doubt that you will continue to improve as time goes on. As always, if you need anything at all, just ask. Glad that you're happy with the laptop!

--Ryan
 
Seth,

Keep it up buddy!

Tony
 
Seth,
I followed your link to the Gould article and find the message appropriate for your situation. I am proud of you and have a new appreciation for a "sanguine personality."
Dad
 
Seth -

Glad to hear things are going so well! Keep it up :)

- Linden
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?