Friday, March 24, 2006

 

Friday Update

I've now been home a week and am feeling well. My legs have improved a good bit in the last 48 hours and I am now just using a cane to move around the house. I can get up and down the stairs fine. After 10 minutes or so on my feet, my back and neck start to complain, so that is my biggest constraint to complete mobility right now.

Jenny and I will be heading to NYC on Wednesday the 29th and stay at her good friend Lara's appt in uptown. We have 3 appointments on Thursday (Surgeon, Oncologist, Radiation Oncologist). We have lots of questions and things to discuss with all 3, so I should have lots of answers by the time we return. On Friday, I am having a Myelogram done at MSKCC as well. This is in preparation for my radiation treatment. Along with the myelogram, they will be creating a full body mold of my body and doing a C/T scan. All of this feeds a complex computer model/simulation to conduct the IMRT (Intensity Modulated radiation Treatment). This is currently scheduled as a single high dose treatment on April 10th. IMO, this is pretty cool stuff. The whole idea is to be able to precisely aim high energy X-Rays at the cancer site, killing off any remaining cells from the surgery, all while minimizing damage to healthy tissue.

Friday will be a long day, so we expect to leave NYC on Saturday morning.

A special thanks to Jenny's brother Mark (or as Nathan calls him "Uncle Shark" :)) who spent the week here. You were a huge help! My sister Sarah is currently visiting, and Jenny's sister Ann is headed up for the weekend.

Another topic....... Jenny and I lost our dog Blue this past year, and after much searching in January, we brought home a female Australian Shepard puppy named Zuzu. When I was admitted to the hospital, the breeder, Kelly, (she lives down in the Harrisburg area) was quick to volunteer to puppy sit for the long term while we dealt with my medical issues. Kelly shows dogs, and last weekend she took Zuzu to a dog show down in Virginia. We were quite surprised to learn that our own Zuzu brought home 3 awards, one best of breed puppy award and 2 best opposite sex puppy awards. Apparently, she has whatever the judges are looking for! Once things settle down, we'll be taking Zuzu back, but right now she is in excellent hands and doing great.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Seth

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?